All SPONSORS MUST be a REGISTERED and attending member of Prince of Peace Church in Northern Cambria, PA (no matter where the Baptism or Confirmation will take place).
Individuals wishing to become a SPONSOR (Godparent) for a BAPTISM or SPONSOR for a CONFIRMATION are required to provide a Sponsorship Certificate TO the church where the baptism or confirmation will take place. It must be FROM the church they are currently attending.
Being a Sponsor is not just an honor given to a friend or relative. Being a Godparent or Sponsor implies a real appreciation and practice of the faith and a sense of responsibility towards the person being sponsored. Therefore, one should not be asked to be a sponsor simply because he/she is a relative or friend. Sponsors should be chosen because they are believers of the Catholic faith who KNOW, ACCEPT, PRACTICE, AND WITNESS to the faith.
As a registered and participating member of Prince of Peace Parish:
* You must be at least 16 years of age.
* You must have already received the sacraments of Initiation:
Baptism, Confirmation and Eucharist.
* You must participate in Sunday Mass and Holy Days of Obligation.
* You must receive the Sacrament of Eucharist frequently.
* You must seek out the Sacrament of Reconciliation regularly.
* You must believe all that the Catholic Church believes and teaches, and truly make a serious effort to live a good moral life worthy of imitation.
* You must realize that you assume great responsibility before God and Church in becoming a sponsor or Godparent, and accept the responsibility to support the individual you are sponsoring by your support, encouragement, prayer, and example of living as a follower of Christ.
* The SPONSOR must pick up the form from Prince of Peace or come to the office to sign the Sponsorship Form if we are to mail the form directly to the church, as it needs to be signed by the Sponsor in the presence of Fr. Mark or the Office Manager, then signed and dated by Fr. Mark, and the church seal must be affixed to the completed certificate.
Certificates of Eligibility to serve as a Godparent/Sponsor cannot be issued to persons that find themselves in one or more of the following categories:
* Persons married outside the Church
* Divorced persons who have remarried without an annulment
* Unmarried persons who are cohabiting Catholic in name only
* Persons NOT registered at Prince of Peace Parish
Please contact the Church Office to request a Sponsorship Form and allow 7-10 business days for processing. You will be contacted after the Sponsorship Form has been processed, signed & sealed.